Space Foundation Discovery Center
4425 Arrowswest Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
The Space Foundation Discovery Center is preparing to spend spring break with the public by exploring science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics (STEAM) in a week filled with “tinkering” activities.
A variety of activities are planned that are appropriate for children ages 4-8 with an adult helper, and ages 9-17 on their own. The week-long event will wrap-up with the construction of a chain reaction machine, also known as a Rube Goldberg Machine, to be launched at noon on Saturday.
The following activities are included in the daily admission price to the Discovery Center.
• K'NEX® toys for building and exploring
• Wind tubes
• Ball maze
• KEVA® planks
• Circuit blocks
Special daily activities from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
• Tuesday – Make a ‘Fused’ Fabric Mini Lamp
• Wednesday – Paper Circuit Light Cards
• Thursday – Cardboard Automatons
• Friday – Mini Tabletop Marble Maze
• Mars Robotics Laboratory 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
• Chain Reaction Machine 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (Rube Goldberg Machine): Show off your best science and engineering skills and help the Space Foundation Discovery Center create one massive chain reaction machine. Bring your own materials or chain reaction machine and add it to everyone else's to create one huge machine.
• Toy/retro technology deconstruction 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (reverse engineering): Ever wonder how things work? Why does your toy work the way it does? How has technology evolved over time? Join us for a time of deconstruction to find out what old technology and toys can teach us through reverse engineering.